Bridesmaid and flowergirl dresses, popular labels, dressmakers and off the rack dress ideas
Should the bride or the bridesmaids have the final decision on what they wear on the wedding day? Should the style and colour of the dresses be the same for each bridesmaid, or different to suit the bridesmaid's body shape and own style? Buy off the rack, or have them made by a dress maker? All these decisions, here's some help.
Bridesmaid Dress ideas on eBay
Choosing the bridesmaid dress
Golden Rule of Bridesmaids : Bridesmaids and brides should always keep in mind, it is an honour to be a bridesmaid . Being part of the bridal party isn't about the dress, the hair or the shoes, but rather the friendship the bride shares with her closest friends and family (sisters/sister-in-law/cousins etc) and about the bride choosing friends that will help her create a special day to remember forever. Once the decision over the bridal party has been made and the wedding colour theme has been chosen it is on to the fun of picking the dresses for the bridesmaids.
Helpful advice and tips to picking a bridesmaid dress:
- Choose your wedding colour theme first . It will help cut down the number of dresses you are choosing from.
- Decide what you want your bridal party to look like before starting to shop. Should the dresses look the same? Do you want all dresses in the same colour? Look at photos of bridal parties in magazines and in forums to decide what type of bridal party you want standing with you on your wedding day.
- Involve your bridesmaids , but don't let them overpower your decisions . Remember it is your wedding, your memories, your photos, your vision. Your bridesmaids are there to help you create your special day and part of that is getting dressed up in the dresses you want. Remind them of the golden rule of bridemaids whenever you are confronted with resistance (see above).
- Budget . Whether the bridesmaids are paying for their dresses, or the wedding couple are paying the dress budget has to be set. If the you as the bride are paying, you should take into account how many bridesmaids you are having and how generous you want to be about the dress. If you are paying it is easier to tell people what they are wearing. If the bridesmaids are paying for their own dress then the bride should think about how much is too much. If you, the bride, wants the bridesmaids in silk from head to toe and for the dresses to be handmade with crystal beading, then the bride should either pay, or check the bridesmaids are willing to fork out that cash for a dress they may wear once.
- Dresses that can be reworn . Although as a bride it is not your concern about the bridesmaid dress after your wedding day, it may be handy, and cost effective, for the bridesmaids to pick a dress they can reuse over the year for other weddings and special occasions.
Dresses off the rack
. If the bridesmaid dresses are to be picked off the rack don't immediately dismiss a dress because it is too loose on one maid and tight on another. Consult a dress maker if they can alter the dress for each bridesmaid and the price of the alterations. Picking off the rack can be cheaper, but if you add in alterations it may push the price over what you would pay for custom made dresses.
Some popular evening dress, cocktail dress, formal dress and all-round gorgeous dress designers and stores to pick from for your bridesmaids:
Lisa Ho | Alex Perry | Scanlan and Theodore | Jigsaw | Saba | Mr K | Laura K | Collette Dinnigan | Wayne Cooper | Citi | Zimmermann | Mint | Marc Jacobs | Karen Walker | Willow | Nicola Finetti | Seduce | Wish | Sass and Bide | Alannah Hill | Fleur Wood | Cue | Ojay |
- Bridesmaid shoes Gorgeous shoes from
- Bridesmaid Summer Beach Wedding Dresses Pick a dress with a gorgeous print design, or a light flowy style. The currently popular maxi dress is an excellent option and will suit bridesmaids of differing heights and shapes. Your bridesmaids will definitely wear these dresses again. You can accessorise a summer wedding bridesmaid dress with sweet parasols, Chinese paper or fabric fans and light shawls. For a fabulous beach setting wedding why not have your bridesmaids wear gorgeous floral sarongs or Hawaiian dresses?
- Bridesmaids dresses on a budget ideas You've invited your friends, sisters, or cousins to be bridesmaids, but don't want to ask them to spend a mortgage payment on a dress for your wedding? Some fun ideas instead of paying for a new dress include asking all your friends to wear a bridesmaid dress from a previous wedding, head to your local op shop and look at their formal wear rack, wear their wedding dresses (the origin of bridesmaids is to have girls dress in similar clothing to the bride to ward off evil spirits by confusing the spirits as to which is the bride). Or perhaps take a stroll through your friend's wardrobe and see what dresses would suit your wedding.
Search for the bridesmaid designer dresses on eBay and save: